Friday, October 8, 2010

My Cy Young Ballots

I'm a sucker for baseball awards, so I figured I'd share my thoughts on how I would rank the ballots.

The AL Cy Young Ballot:
1. Felix Hernandez
2. Cliff Lee
3. C.C. Sabathia
4. Francisco Liriano
5. Justin Verlander
6. Jon Lester
7. Jered Weaver
8. David Price
9. Zach Greinke
10. Colby Lewis

Thoughts:

There are a ton of worthy candidates this year, but ultimately King Felix had the best all-around numbers. Lee's 10.28 K/BB ratio is absurd. AL East pitchers got some extra credit for playing in that division, and CC beats out Liriano for third due to his large inning total. I also put some weight into past performances when there are so many even candidates, which helped Lee and CC and hurt Weaver.

The NL Cy Young Ballot:
1. Roy Halladay
2. Adam Wainwright
3. Ubaldo Jimenez
4. Josh Johnson
5. Tim Lincecum
6. Roy Oswalt
7. Clayton Kershaw
8. Tommy Hanson
9.Yovani Gallardo
10. Chad Billingsley

Thoughts:
It is pretty clear that Roy Halladay deserves this award (and was clear before he pitched a no hitter in Game 1 of the NLDS), although several pitchers had great seasons. If not for a dreadful August, Lincecum would have finished second or third on this list, which would have been a more appropriate showing for the reigning two-time Cy Young winner. He would be the easy choice if I had to choose an NL pitcher to win one game for me if Halladay was not available.

No comments:

Post a Comment